RovingBookClub

Roving Book Club

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.” ― Neil Gaiman

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson

Read by Tiffany: The blurb for this novel, although accurate story-wise, led me to expect a dark, gritty, determined revenge-quest sort of novel. So Sanderson's humour and relatively light touch with what could be grindingly dark and serious was a very pleasant surprise.

The premise is intriguing, and the characters varied and interesting. Dialogue is well written, and David's lack of skill with similes and metaphors is very funny ('like a brick made of porridge'). The romantic interest is suitably fumbling and confused, and the relationship of the rebel group is well handled (united by purpose, but little personal information is shared).

One twist was well telegraphed (more of a reveal than a twist then I guess), but the factors for the second twist were cloaked well enough that it was a surprise to me.
This could pass for Youth Fiction if a 15+ is looking for a book to read (there is no swearing, no sex, but a couple of mentions of cleavage and the attractions of Megan ..). Huge thankyou to Ben for adding this to my reading list :)